Entries from professional and emerging photographers from across the region and beyond are invited for a major photography competition.
The third RBSA Photographic Prize Exhibition will be in partnership with Argentea Gallery and displayed across both venues.
There are four prizes, including a £1,000 First Prize and a portfolio review by GRAIN. The deadline for entries is Monday 14 January, 4pm.
First launched in 2015, the exhibition celebrates photographic artwork by emerging and established photographers. This year we are working with Argentea Gallery, Birmingham to host the show. Argentea is dedicated to showing the very best contemporary photography from both British and international artists.
The exhibition will be displayed across RBSA Gallery floor 2 and Argentea Gallery’s ground floor from 14 February to 9 March.
Robert Neil, the President of the RBSA said ‘Whilst the boundaries between fine art and photography become increasingly blurred, this exhibition will allow us to assess how we move forward as an art society in response to new media.’
How to apply
The deadline for entries is 4pm Monday 14 January 2019. You can download the application pack from the RBSA website: http://rbsa.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/photographic-prize-exhibition-2019/
All RBSA prize exhibitions are selected by a guest panel of judges who have relevant experience and expertise. This year, the selection panel is:
- Camilla Brown – Associate Curator at GRAIN Photography Hub and freelance writer at Photomonitor.
- Maria Falconer (Panel Chair) – Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society, Lecturer at De Montfort University, and dance photography specialist.
- John Hodgett – Professional Photographer with clients including Vogue and the British Journal of Photography.
Prizes and Closing Party
Prizes will be awarded by Nicola Shipley, Director of GRAIN Projects, at the Closing Party on Friday 8 March (the event will start at RBSA Gallery and include both the RBSA and Argentea Galleries).
- The GMC First Prize – £1,000 cash prize
- Purchase Prize donated by Norstrom Family – £500
- The People’s Prize Exhibition Prize – Ground floor solo show exhibition in 2020 awarded to the artist selected by votes placed by visitors to the exhibition.
- GRAIN Portfolio Review – A Prize for emerging photographers. Supported by GRAIN Projects
The RBSA thanks each donor for their generous support, which is greatly appreciated.
Argentea Gallery is Birmingham’s only independent commercial gallery dedicated to contemporary photography. Owned by Jennie Anderson and located in St Paul’s Square, it promotes an awareness and appreciation of contemporary photography by presenting a programme of stimulating and thoughtful exhibitions supported by a variety of artist talks and events.